Established on August 28, 2013.
Revised on September 26, 2016
Chapter 1: General Provisions
Article 1 (Name)
The name of the group is called Lawyers for Human Rights and Unification of Korea (LHUK) (hereinafter referred to as "LHUK").
Article 2 (Address)
The office of LHUK is located in Seoul City.
Article 3 (Purpose)
LHUK is to protect the identity of the Republic of Korea, to realize the civil values of the community based on liberal democracy and the market economy order, to establish a practical rule of law that pursues freedom, equality and happiness, improve the human rights issues of the Korean peninsula, and lay the foundations for peaceful unification based on a free and democratic basic order.
Article 4 (Business)
To accomplish the above set goals of LHUK, we will engage in the following activities:
1. Legal support and public interest litigation
2. Research and investigation of relevant laws and institutions
3. Cooperation and solidarity with domestic and international organizations and related organizations
4. Education, publication, public relations and public opinion formation to support the above project
5. Any other business deemed necessary for the purpose of LHUK
CHAPTER 2 MEMBERS
Article 5 (Membership)
1. LHUK shall consist of regular members, full members, and special members.
2. A domestic / foreign lawyer, a full-time faculty member of a university, a judicial trainee, a law school graduate student, a secretarial staff, etc. are qualified to be general members, who are interested in the purpose of, and who are actively interested in the purpose of achieving our purpose. They shall be deemed to have passed the prescribed membership registration procedure.
3. Full members shall be the general members who have obtained the recommendation of one or more full members and obtained the consent of the Managing Committee.
4. A special member shall be a person other than a general member or a full member, who is recommended by the standing delegate and approved by the Managing Committee.
Article 6 (Rights and Obligations of Members)
1. The member shall pay a prescribed membership fee and shall have the right as a member from the time of commencement of payment of the membership fee.
2. Full members shall have the right to vote, the right to be elected and the right to vote, and shall actively participate in the affairs.
3. General Members and Special Members have the same rights and obligations as full members except for the right to vote, the right to vote and the right to vote.
4. The detailed contents and amount of the membership fee shall be determined by internal regulations following the decision of the Managing Committee.
Article 7 (Loss of Membership) A member shall lose membership if he or she falls under any of the following cases:
1. When you decide to terminate the membership of LHUK
2. When the Board of Directors decide to terminate membership through a prescribed procedure for violating the purpose of LHUK or for violating the provisions of the LHUK such as the act of bringing damage to the honor and prestige of the LHUK or the member's failure to perform his duties.
Chapter 3 Mechanism
Article 8 (Number of Directors)
1. There shall be three or more representatives (including the standing representative and the co-representative) in this society.
2. Directors shall be elected by the Managing Committee.
3. The term of office of the director is two years and can be renewed.
Article 9 (Standing Representative)
1. The standing representative represents LHUK.
2. Standing representative shall be elected by the General Assembly.
3. The standing representative shall be the chairperson of the General Assembly and Managing Committee overseeing the affairs.
4. The term of office of the standing representative shall be two years and shall be renewable.
Article 10 (Co-Representative)
1. The co-representative shall represent LHUK according to the role and shall operate in plural.
2. The co-representative shall determine the role and shall be elected by the Managing Committee.
3. Representative delegates shall be determined in the order of the seniority from the co-representatives.
4. The term of the co-representative is two years and can be renewed.
Article 11 (Audit)
1. There shall be one auditor for the auditing business.
2. The Auditor shall be elected by the General Assembly.
3. The Auditor may report to the General Meeting the results of the audit of the business and financial affairs and present their opinions by attending the General Assembly.
4. The term of the auditor is two years and may be renewed.
Article 12 (Managing Committee)
1. The Managing Committee shall be appointed for the smooth operation of LHUK.
2. The Managing Committee shall be appointed by the Standing Representative.
3. The Managing Committee has the right to speak and vote on the Managing Committee.
4. The terms of office of the Managing Committee members shall be two years and may be renewed.
Article 13 (Advisors, Consultant)
1. If necessary advisers and consultants may be appointed.
2. Advisors shall be appointed by the Standing Representative after the approval of the Managing Committee.
3. The details of the term, qualifications, number and roles of advisors and advisors shall be determined by the internal regulations.
Article 14 (Secretary General)
1. A Secretary General shall be appointed for smooth handling of LHUK activities.
2. The Secretary General shall be appointed by the Standing Representative through the resolution of the Managing Committee.
3. The Secretary General shall represent the Secretariat and shall supervise the execution of the affairs, such as financial management.
4. To assist the Secretary General, the Policy Director and the Deputy Secretary General shall be appointed. The Policy Director and Deputy Secretary shall be appointed by the Standing Representative through the resolution of the Managing Committee.
5. The details of the organization, functions and operation of the office shall be determined by internal regulations after the decision of the Managing Committee.
Article 15 (Committee)
1. A special committee may be established for smooth business operation.
2. The Chairperson of the Committee shall be appointed by the Standing Representative through the resolution of the Managing Committee.
3. Details concerning the establishment and operation of the committee shall be determined by the internal regulations.
Article 16 (Branch)
1. LHUK may have a branch in provision territories.
2. Specific matters concerning the establishment and operation of the branch shall be determined by the internal regulations.
Article 17 (Spokesperson)
1. LHUK may appoint a spokesperson for publicity and media activity.
2. The spokesperson shall be appointed by the Standing Representative after the decision of the Managing Committee.
3. The details of the spokesperson shall be determined by the internal regulations.
Chapter 4 Meetings
Article 18 (Type and Calls for Meeting of the General Assembly)
1. LHUK convenes a regular general assembly in December every year.
2. To convene an extraordinary general meeting when the standing representative feels is necessary and when there is a resolution of the Managing Committee or a request of at least by one-fifth of the members.
3. The convening of the General Assembly shall be notified by e-mail, etc., by indicating the purpose, date and place of the meeting, etc., one week before the date of the meeting.
Article 19 (Decision Agendas to be made by the General Assembly)
1. Amendment of Articles of Incorporation
2. Approval of Budget and Settlement
3. Election of permanent representatives and auditors
4. Name of member
5. Other matters referred to the General Assembly by resolution of the Managing Committee.
Article 20 (Quorum Necessary for the General Assembly Meeting)
1. The General Assembly shall convene with one-fourth of the members present and decide on a majority of the members present.
2. Members may delegate their voting rights in writing.
Article 21 (Types and Arrangement of Managing Committee)
1. There shall be a Managing Committee composed of standing delegates, joint delegates, Managing Committee members, and general secretaries.
2. Regular Managing Committee shall be held once a month.
3. A temporary Managing Committee shall be convened when a standing representative decides necessary or at the request of at least one-fifth of the Managing Committee members.
4. The convening of the Managing Committee shall notify the Standing Representative three days in advance as to the purpose, date and place of the meeting by e-mail.
Article 22 (Decisions to be made by the Managing Committee)
1. Deliberation of Amendment of the Articles of Incorporation
2. Review of budget and settlement
3. Establishment and revision of required internal regulations
4. Election of Co-Representative
5. Consent of the standing representative
6. Resolution of the General Assembly and the resolution of the General Assembly
7. Decision on the main matters necessary for the operation of the other side
Article 23 (Quorum Necessary to for the Managing Committee)
1. The Managing Committee shall meet at least one-third of the members present and decide with a majority of the members present.
2. Members of the Managing Committee may delegate their voting rights in writing.
Chapter 5 Accounting and Finance
Article 24 (Imports)
1. Membership fee
3. Special Contributions
4. Other income
Article 25 (Expenses)
LHUK can use its fund to pay for the personnel expenses, research expenses, publicity expenses, activity expenses etc. necessary for its activities.
Article 26 (Fiscal Year)
The fiscal year of LHUK shall be from January 1 to December 31 of every year.
Article 27 (Classification of Property)
1. The property of a corporation is categorized into basic corporate properties and ordinary corporate properties.
2. The basic corporate property shall be the real property or the movable property related to the purpose of the business of the corporation and shall be the property that the founder contributed at the time of establishment of the corporation and the property defined as basic corporate property by the board of directors.
3. Ordinary corporate properties shall be property other than basic corporate property.
Article 28 (Management of Property)
1. When a company intends to sell, donate, lease, exchange, put the property as security, and change the purpose of the security, or give up the burden of obligations or rights, it shall pass a resolution of the general meeting.
2. Regarding the change of the basic property, the provisions on the amendment of the Articles of Incorporation shall be applied.
Article 29 (Financial Resources)
1. The sources of funds required for the maintenance and operation of corporations are as follows.
② Government and local government subsidies
③ Various donations
④ Negligence from basic property
2. When the corporation intends to pay a debt other than its budget, it shall obtain the approval of the relevant governmental authority through the resolution of the general meeting.
Article 30 (Budget Preparation and Settlement)
1. The corporation shall obtain the approval of the General Assembly through the resolution of the board of directors before the January 1 fiscal year. However, projects involving the burden of national treasury must be approved by the relevant governmental authority in advance.
2. The approval of the general meeting as well as the resolution of the Board of Directors is required for the LHUK activities and financial statements within two months after the end of the relevant fiscal year.
Article 31 (Audit)
The auditor should conduct audits twice a year.
Article 32 (Duties Report)
The business plan and budget for the following year and the business achievement and balance sheet for the year shall be reported to the relevant governmental authority within two months after the end of the fiscal year. In this case, the property list, business status and audit result report should be submitted together.
Article 33 (Disclosure of Funds, etc.)
The amount of annual fundraising and activities will be released through the homepage until the end of March next year.
Chapter 6 Amendment and dissolution of the Articles of Incorporation
Article 34 (Amendment of Articles of Incorporation)
In order to revise the constitution of LHUK, the consent of at least two-thirds of the members present at the General Assembly are required through the resolution of the Managing Committee.
Article 35 (Dissolution)
In order to dissolve LHUK, the quorum of at least one-third of the registered members and the consent of at least two-thirds of the members present at the meeting are required.
Article 36 (Treatment of Residual Property)
The disposition of the residual property at the time of the dissolution of the corporation shall be subject to the approval of the relevant governmental authority through the resolution of the general meeting and shall be distributed among the national, local government, or other nonprofit corporation with a similar purpose.
Supplementary Provisions (Sep. 9, 2013)
Article 1 (Effective Date)
This Articles of Incorporation shall become effective from September 9, 2013.
Article 2 (Transitional Provisions)
The first standing delegate, auditors, Managing Committee members, and secretary general of the LHUK shall be elected at the promoter meeting shall be elected from among the founding promoters.